Patient Rehabilitation, Education and Empowerment Program (PREP)
Our fistula clinics have post-surgical rehabilitation programmess which are a vital part of our patients recovery and help prepare them for reintegration back into society.
In PREP, (Patient Rehabilitation, Education and Empowerment Programme), patients are taught life skills that offer the women and girls opportunities for their futures:
- classes in literacy and numeracy, tailored to the level of education a patient may or may not have had
- handicrafts, including sewing, weaving and beading, with a view to making items which the patients can sell
- cooking classes to demonstrate how to cook healthy food on a low budget
- micro-finance support and enterprise training, including opening a bank account, household budgets and simple business accounts
- income generation, including solar-powered charging stations, tailoring, goat rearing, reusable sanitary pads