“I am so grateful to Freedom From Fistula Foundation for giving me back my sense of worth and making me feel whole again”
Caroline, age 27
Our vision is to help eradicate obstetric fistula and for women and girls in Africa to have access to healthcare during pregnancy and childbirth.
In order to achieve this, we have a number of concrete objectives:-
- To expand or develop fistula services across Africa, particularly in Sierra Leone, Kenya and Malawi
- To train local surgeons to repair obstetric fistulas
- To train local midwives in the highest standards of maternal healthcare
- To finance access to healthcare during pregnancy and labour
- To finance caesarean sections to stop obstetric fistulas occurring
- To provide education and empowerment to fistula patients
- To partner with other organisations and local facilities to improve fistula and maternity care
Women’s health is fundamental to women’s rights and societal roles in Africa and effective medical care to remedy and prevent obstetric fistula is essential to achieving those rights and roles for women.